Rosemary Olive Oil Cake

May 20, 2011


Upon first seeing this recipe, I thought it sounded a little... strange. Rosemary is a savory ingredient and chocolate is not, though I found the idea of combining the two intriguing. Sometimes opposites compliment each other, as this cake clearly demonstrates. I've found that in cooking and baking it's often these kind of unexpected pairings that bring complexity and intrigue to the final product. Such trials of seemingly-unusual flavor pairings make spending time in the kitchen so exciting and fun for me. Especially when the results promise such a stunning treat.

This cake is one of my absolute favorites. Rosemary, chocolate, and olive oil create a memorable and interesting-in-a-very-good-way cake that is completely delightful. Each bite is flecked with rosemary shards and chocolate pieces. The olive oil brings a subtle fruitiness and keeps the cake extremely moist. Although the rosemary is not overpowering, it adds a subtle complexity to the cake that is most delightful.

So here I present my idea of a perfect snack cake, if there ever was one. I really hope you'll give it a try. You might be surprised just how much you love this cake.

Notes: I have baked this cake is several different pans. My latest favorite pan to use is a new, small, 6-cup bundt (as shown above). You can also bake it in a 9x5 loaf pan, a 9-inch cake pan, or a 9-inch flauted tart pan. The sugar sprinkled over the top of the cake adds a wonderful crunch. I left it off in the picture above because I planned on inverting the cake, but then decided that I liked the rustic look of the 'underside' and made that the top. And finally, if you prefer, you may substitute all-purpose flour for the spelt and whole-wheat.

Adapted from Good to the Grain

5 friendly note(s):

  1. Gotta admit - it sounded strange to me too! But you have me convinced. I have some rosemary growing in my new herb garden and I'm bookmarking this to try soon. I am intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, consider this bookmarked! I love savory herbs in sweet desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bookmark it ladies, this one's a keeper! I know you'll enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so good! Morgan's didn't stay together, it fell apart but was still so delicious. It was kind of hard to stop eating it actually. This is so far, my favorite cake you have made.
    I wish you wouldn't have that verification thing on your comments! I never type in the right thing. I just listened to the voice version of it and it sounded like a creepy poltergeist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... I wonder why Morgan's didn't stay together very well. I've never had that problem. Maybe it had something to do with the flour in it or the mixing method? Also, I'm glad you said something about the comment verification. I thought that I had removed that a long time ago, but I guess not! It's gone now. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The Flour Sack All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger