Giant Lima Beans with Stewed Tomatoes & Oregano Pesto

Jan 27, 2012

.

Plump, creamy beans + garlicky tomato sauce + generous sprinkles of tangy feta + crisp bread crumbs + a *very* tasty herbal pesto = Yum. Capital Y.

This dish is a great way to cook up a delicious, protein-packed meal. It also makes for a great side dish. However you choose to enjoy it, just be sure that you don't skimp on the pesto - it really completes the dish.

Notes: I always make my own bread crumbs; fresh is just so much better, in my opinion. Simply tear up a few slices of whole wheat bread, pulse them in the food processor for a few seconds, and voila! Fresh bread crumbs. For this recipe, you'll finish them up by toasting them on the stove and then add a bit of salt and parsley. Also, the original recipe called for only 1/3 the amount of pesto. (!!! Horror, I know.) So the amount below is my tripled version of the original. It's just too good to not triple. I am anxious to make this again... one for the beans, and two, for the pesto because I can imagine it'd be fantastic drizzled on all sorts of things: sandwiches, roasted vegetables, toast with egg, a hearty lentil stew.... Enjoy!

Adapted from Food & Wine

5 friendly note(s):

  1. I hope people do't let the fact that these are "Lima beans" get in their way of trying this dish. I must admit at first I was afraid, but low-and-behold it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. even double yum!

    http://whatshouldieatforbreakfasttoday.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I’m Heather! Please email me when you get a chance! HeatherVonsj(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you :) I hope you'll try it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

The Flour Sack All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger